March 7, 2010

Spring has Sprung!

I love Wisconsin.  I love that we have four distinct seasons - they may not all be the same length (winters can feel like an eternity here), but we experience the full gamut of temperatures.

And I wouldn't have it any other way.  It's true what they say - that you have to take the bad with the good, and with the right attitude, the bad just makes the good all the better.

Such was the case today.  Here in Fond du Lac, we're having the most beautiful late winter day that one living in these parts could ask for.  The temp is hovering at around 42F (or 6C for my Canadian and Continental friends reading), it's perfectly sunny, the snow is melting, and it's the perfect day for a walk.  Brian and I went for a walk earlier, and it seemed as though the entire neighborhood was out enjoying the weather, walking their dogs and, in the case of the guys on our street, doing unnecessary random yard things.

It's hard to be in a bad mood on a day like today.  There are signs of new life everywhere - the trees are budding, new homes are being built, I saw some Canada Geese today - and, best of all, I could smell someone barbecuing. 

Yes, in the middle of February, nearly all of us here wish we lived in Florida.  But I'm really glad we don't.  I think I would miss the excitement that spring (and fall! And summer!) offers.  As we get older, time seems to go faster because, according to neurologists and memory experts, we don't experience as many "new" things.  There is a lot more routine in our lives, so there isn't much of a "learning curve" to deal with.  But with the change of seasons, we get the chance to discover the newness all over again.  We have the opportunity to find new ways to enjoy the change - maybe play a new sport that the season offers (softball in the summer, skiing in the winter) or bird watch or chase storms.  Maybe this year I'll try "plein air" painting.

Wherever you live, take the time to savor the first nice days of whatever season is upon you (I'll bet you're VERY happy that it's almost fall, western Australians!).  You may even feel time slowing down! 

*Artwork by me

No comments:

Post a Comment