March 4, 2010

New and Improved!

I'm going to go on a little rant - has anyone in the States or Canada seen the ad for Charmin toilet paper, where they talk about "fewer pieces left behind", and they show this bear (not bare, get it?) butt with little pieces of toilet paper on it??

Am I the only one grossed out by this?  Really, every time I see this I just get disgusted all over again.  There have been commercials for toilet paper since the 50s, and correct me if I'm wrong, but I think 99.9% of viewers know what it's used for.  I don't think we need to be slapped in the face with what this particular product can do for us.

Maybe it's because so many people are using DVRs to record their shows now, and advertisers are panicking about how to make their commercials noticeable.  Many are turning to humor in their ads, which is  making some commercial viewing a lot more fun lately (I really like the new Old Spice ads).  People seem to really like the E*Trade baby spots; personally, I find them disturbing (although, I do like the word "milkaholic"). 

Local ads are, well, still local ads.  Brian and I watch the "Daily Buzz" in the morning so we see the same 10 ads rotated every weekday.  It is hilarious to see people like none other than Capt. Kirk himself shilling for Milwaukee law firm Hupy & Abraham - I always wonder how much he got paid for that.  I worked in the TV biz for four years, and helped with commercial production as a "production peon", so I have seen the tremendous acting ability of local talent in action (italics denote sarcasm). I hear it's actually becoming more affordable to advertise on TV, because the competition for this here Interweb is so intense.  That's wonderful news, because we will be treated to more local talent than ever before!

Oh sure - I talk a good talk.  But my mom said that when I was really little - as young as two or three - I had no interest in TV programs but would come running out of my room when I heard the commercials.  I have always loved watching commercials.  Any time one of those TV specials with the foreign ads runs, I will watch it.  Any time I get a "forward" that includes a funny TV spot, I will save it for future viewing (especially true when I worked a 9-5 job).  And yes, some commercials may annoy the heck out of me, but I don't turn off the TV when they come on.  Sometimes it's just as much fun to ridicule a commerical than it is to watch one that is truly enjoyable.

I'm afraid that advertisers missed the mark with me, though - I have never bought something because I saw it on an ad.  Sometimes I wonder - does this work on anyone?  Really?  I would love to hear if any of you actually ran out and bought an item because you saw it advertised on TV.  It has to work, or there wouldn't be commericals!  But I just have to wonder who's buying and why.

I shouldn't complain about commercials (or any advertising, for that matter) at all - that advertising paid my salary for a total of nearly 13 years of my life.  I'm just asking that we not see any more ads that feature toilet paper shrapnel.  Stop the madness, Charmin!

2 comments:

  1. I haven't read the entire post yet, but wanted to say I heartily agree with your opinion about the Charmin ads! have you listened to their tagline?? "enjoy the go." WTF?? whatever happened to the good old days of Mr Whipple...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jennifer, there are SO many things wrong with the Charmin ads, the punny bears, the toilet paper shrapnel, the cutesy way they talk about a normal human function - GRR!! The ads just annoy me something fierce! I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels this way! :D

    Mr. Whipple, you are missed. :D

    ReplyDelete