March 25, 2010

Jo-Jo

I'm very lucky - for the next week, we have a visitor here at the house.  He is of the furry persuasion, and his name is Jo-Jo.

So I am dog-sitting while my sister Jen and bro in-law Mike and my nieces are on vacation, and I couldn't be happier. I can tell Jo-Jo is a little down right now, and wondering when they'll return. But he knows me very well, so I'm sure we'll have a grand ol' time together, especially now that I work at home and he won't have to be crated for eight hours at a time.

Jo-Jo and I hit it off right away.  From the moment that my sister Jen and her family brought him home, he ingratiated himself into our lives.  He's a very loyal pup, too.  I think my mom is his favorite human outside of his "immediate family". 

So, who is Jo-Jo (or Jo for short)?  Well, he's about 5 1/2, and a Poodle-Bichon Frise mix.  He used to really like other doggies, but about two years ago he was bitten by a Chow that lives in their neighborhood, and he grew quite wary of other canines after that.  One of his favorite things to do, other than play tug-of-war, is look out the window.  He likes to warn us of potential hazards, like leaves blowing across the street, or people walking, or (GASP!) other dogs. 

Despite these little quirks, he is quite smart.  For example, he gives a short "ruff" and looks at the faucet when he's thirsty.  He'll scratch at the pantry door (where his food is kept) when he's hungry.  And all he has to do when he needs to go out is nod his head toward the sliding glass door.  When he's crated, Jen will say "go in your house, Jo" and he goes.  Sometimes, when keys are being jingled or coats are donned, he will just go instinctively.  He is a joy to be around.

He is also a lovey.  I really like it when he literally leans on me.  I'll be sitting on the couch or the floor, and he'll come over and put all of his weight on me.  I really feel special when he does this!  I think this is his way of saying, "I trust you".  :D

Brian and I go back and forth on whether or not to get a dog of our own.  Now that I'm at home, it certainly would be easier to have one.  We're also traveling less right now, and our lives aren't as hectic as in years past.  I know it's a lot of work to have a well-behaved doggie, and we would certainly make sure that our dog would we one of those.  It doesn't do anyone any favors to have a dog that no one can stand, least of all the dog itself.  Dogs need to have rules and structure and a pack leader.  It would be hard not spoiling him.

My sister had to ask me straight out not to give Jo too many treats while they're away, because it isn't good for his digestive system.  I do know this, deep down, but when I see how happy it makes him to have a treat all logic flies out the window.  I'm the worst kind of "Auntie" in this way (I'm afraid I'm like this as a human Auntie too).

Well, I'm off to see what Jo-Jo's up to.  I just heard a small bark, which probably means there was a sudden gust of wind or a bird flew overhead.  Something extremely hazardous, no doubt.

No comments:

Post a Comment