September 24, 2010

The Nightfly

I had an unusual bout of insomnia last night - I haven't had one in a long time!  I used to go weeks without a good night's sleep, but it's been years since that's happened.

There were a couple factors:  our room was way too hot; the winds were wicked; I couldn't get comfortable; and I had a head full of thoughts.  Group these things together and I suppose it's inevitable that it's not going to be a good night.

When I worked in TV, I thrived at night!  Even though our production crew had crazy hours (sometimes beginning at 5:30 a.m and ending at 11:00 p.m. in split shifts), we'd go out after work every night.  There would be nights where I'd get two hours of sleep, work my first shift (5:30-8:00 a.m.), go home for a couple hours and sleep, come back at 11:30 and work my second shift, etc. etc. etc.  There's only one explanation for how I could do this - I was 24. 

Normally I get up at 6:30 and I'm more than fine all day, but I just can't handle three hours of sleep anymore!  And did you ever notice that when you're awake and thinking at 3 a.m., it's never about happy things?  Okay, maybe it is for some, but I'd be willing to be that 95% of us who are up at these ungodly hours are not thinking about the best days of their lives; it's more about what happened that day, or what's coming up that's going to be unpleasant or nerve-wracking.  I can see how people get hooked on Ambien!

One nice thing about the night - it doesn't last.  Morning comes, and everything looks a little better.  It's like our brains have a switch that turns gloomy thoughts into lighter ones when the sun comes up. 

I'm going to use that to my advantage and go back to sleep.  :D

No comments:

Post a Comment