June 7, 2010

Sex and the City and the "New Feminism"

Okay, so "Sex and the City 2" came out on Friday.  Guys, contrary to what you may have heard, not every woman is clamoring to see this film.  I'm one of them.

I'll admit it - I don't get the appeal of this franchise.  I really don't.  Everything about it is odd to me - going into debt for shoes, selling your soul for a buck, dating stupid men and wondering why you're still single....and that's another thing.  While it may look like this foursome are happy-go-lucky, cosmo-swilling girls-about-town, what it really came down to is all of them (except for Samantha) snagging husbands and then complaining about them!  Ugh.

Growing up, "finding a man" was not something that my mom hoped for me.  Now, obviously I'm not anti-marriage; I've done it twice and for the most part, I find it to be a wonderful institution.  But there's something about these movies and TV shows about single women that always comes down to finding a man! WHY?  They always seem to be miserable when they're in relationships, so why do they want to be married so badly?  So they can wear a pretty dress and a big-ass diamond?  I just don't get it.

I wonder sometimes about the mixed messages that my nieces are getting; on the one hand, they've got their mom (my sister) telling them that they can be whoever they want to be and do whatever they want to do if they just put their minds to it, but on the other hand, all they hear at school is boyfriend-girlfriend drama.  And they're 11 and 13!!!  I know, all girls seem to go through this phase, but what happens when some don't grow out of it?  Oh yeah - see above.  It just scares me to see young girls going through the same crap that we did, or our mothers did.  It's such a bizarre time we live in - we have women in the some of the highest offices in the land and thankfully, we can land any job a man can.  THAT is different than even in my childhood.  But on the other hand, you've got six year-olds dressed up like whores in beauty pageants!  And as long as that mentality exists, women will never truly be as equal as men.  Sadly, many young girls don't seem to care about this.  I mean, really?  It's 2010 and it's still portrayed on TV that girls and women want to look pretty so they can find husbands??  GAH!!!!

So ladies - if you're single and still intent on getting married then for god's sake, find one that will treat you the way you were meant to be treated - as a human being.  As an equal.  No game-playing, just two souls who've found each other and want to share their lives.  THIS I wish for everyone.  Find someone who treats you this way (i.e., through a friendship first) or get out of the relationship.  Be a WOMAN, not some guy's mother or plaything.  You're better than that, and you know it. 

1 comment:

  1. "GAH!!!!" is right! I have NEVER watched an episode of the show Sex & the City, and never will. It's never grabbed my attention, except in a negative way, just like you described. And I agree, it gives men out there (who see bits and pieces of what the show is about) a skewed impression of what "enlightened, modern" women are supposedly like... (plus, Sarah Jessica Parker is just NOT all that, in my opinion; but I digress.)

    I've never watched Toddlers & Tiaras, either, but I've seen enough of the commercials to know I don't want to. (And to know that it's probably just as much, if not more, about the mothers fulfilling some pageant-winning fantasies of their own using their children.)

    ReplyDelete