December 31, 2009

Whatta year!!


Here it is, the waning hours of 2009.  In seven hours (CST), we will be in a new year again.  I'm sure this sentiment has been uttered literally billions of times throughout the ages, but I'll say it again - where DID the time go?  Many wild and wonderful events happened this year, including lots of new little people!  So before I go any further I'd like to welcome the following new friends to their first full year on Earth:  Bren Evelyn, Graham Harris, Griffin, Isabelle Juliette Rochon and P.J!  You won't remember it, but Happy 2010!

One year ago tonight we celebrated at Water City Grill, a fabulous restaurant in Oshkosh, WI.  Little did we know at the time it would be our last New Year's there, as it closed in April.  Tonight, we're dining at a new restaurant in Ripon called America, which should prove to be fantastic.  The best part?  We're with the same wonderful people we were with last year, our friends Todd & Dawn.  But even that's a little different - there is a NEW little Todd & Dawn this year!  Bren Evelyn was born in March.

One year ago tonight I had never taught a class in my life - and now I've taught three.  I had never had my work in a juried show, and that happened too.  Two Thousand-Nine was a turning point in the way I felt about my work:  I no longer view it as just a hobby, but a real passion.  I am also no longer shy about telling people that I am an artist.  They may not like my work, but that's not my problem.  :)

One year ago tonight I didn't have a clue as to what a "furlough" was, but I found out shortly thereafter - we had two in 2009, and 2010 is shaping up to be similar, as we already know we're having one.  But where there's one, there's bound to be more - I don't mind!  I LOVE the time off, even if it is unpaid.  We also had a major upheaval at The Reporter this year - the old, venerable downtown location is now closed and in September we moved in with the Action Advertiser, our former rival but current compadres (Gannett makes for strange bedfellows).  It's a beautiful place with far better amenities, but I do miss being downtown.  Alas, such is the way of the newspaper - and 2009 was not kind to our institution.

One year ago tonight my husband Brian would have never thought that his photographs would be framed and living in other people's homes - but he had his first sale this month!  I am busting my buttons with pride and happiness at his newfound success.  Check out his beautiful work here.

As we all grow a little older and MAYBE a little wiser, let's take the time to remember all of the good (and bad) things that happened over the last 12 months.  It may not have been the most stellar year for most of us, but I believe there are better days ahead.  I'll even be so bold as to say "Good riddance, 2009!"

Have a wonderful new year, everyone - and for those of you west of the International Dateline, Happy 2010!

4 comments:

  1. Older, yes. Wiser? Well, not me... ;D What a crazy year, huh? I'm so glad I got to take one of your classes in 2009, and hey, maybe we'll finally have that art playdate in 2010 (tho' it may have to be on a weekend now that I've gone back into the mainstream workforce part-time...chh chh chh changes...) Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yup, I have to agree- where DID the time go?? Lots happened in my life (much of it bad, depending on my frame of mind at times) so I also second your "good riddance, 2009!" Happy New Year, and here's to a more positive 2010 for everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well Carolyn and Jennifer, I wish you both a WONDERFUL new year, hopefully filled with much art and good times. :D I hope at the end of '10 we're all relishing the memories of this year! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mel, first-thanks for the kind words on my blog-thanks for even reading my blog.
    Second, 2009 was a good year for networking, and taking classes and being with good friends. I'd love to get back to teaching classes somewhere this year-and selling some stuff.
    I'm looking forward to another friend filled year and maybe that play date that Carolyn keeps threatening us with. Seeya

    ReplyDelete